The Food Standards and Safety Authority of India (FSSAI) is the supreme authority which is responsible for regulating and supervising the food safety. So it’s mandatory to take FSSAI Basic Registration as per the law by Govt. of India.
Here we’ll discuss about basic registration of FSSAI. Small Businesses or Startups having annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs can apply for basic FSSAI Food safety registration.
As operations scale up and turnover reaches Rs. 12 lakh, the basic registration will need to be upgraded to state license. As the name describes that it is a very basic registration so it won’t work for large businesses.
FSSAI Food safety Registration is mandatory for everyone who want to start food business. Whether you are into business of preparing food or processing or packing or distribution, everyone who handles food at various stages before it finally reaches the customer, you’re required to apply for a FSSAI licence.
What is a FSSAI Licence ?
FSSAI also known as Food Safety and Standard Authority of India. FSSAI is an Independent Authority (organization) under the Ministry of Health of Govt. of India. FSSAI Licence/Registration is mandatory for every individuals or entity who deals in food business.
What is FSSAI Licence Number?
The FSSAI License Number is a 14 digit number which provides the information about the manufacturer license. FSSAI number provides the registration details. It’s mandatory for the brand owner to display the FSSAI Logo with his license number on the label of every food package.
It’s mandatory to display FSSAI logo and license number along with the name and address of the importer in the case of the imported food product.
Why FSSAI Licence Registration?
The main importance of FSSAI Licence Registration is to maintaining the food quality standards in order to ensure safety of the consumer and satisfy them completely. FSSAI Registration (Food safety and standards authority of India) plays an important role in the controlling procedures with their specific guidelines.
What is the procedure of getting FSSAI Licence Registration?
This is a 5 step process for FSSAI license registration procedure that are following:-
- Selection of kind of business
- Selection of food category
- Selection of type of license
- Filing & Submission
- Issue of certificate
What are the documents required for FSSAI Licence Registration?
Documentation depends upon case to case. However, common documents required for obtaining FSSAI Basic registration are:-
- FSSAI declaration.
- Photo Identity of FBO.
- Identity Proof
- Proof of possession of premises (eg. Rental Agreement).
- Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association etc.
- List of food products to be dealt with.
- Food safety management system plan.
Other Documents (as per category of Licence)
- Building Layouts
- Layouts & Structures
- Water/ Fire NOC
- Electricity Connection Details
Type of FSSAI Licence Registration?
- Basic registration: Business having turnover up to 12 lakh in a year can apply for FSSAI Basic Licence/Registration.
- State license: Business having turnover between 12 lakh to 20 crore in a year can apply for State FSSAI License/Registration.
- Central license: Business having turnover above 20 crore can apply for Central FSSAI License/Registration. Any business involved in export and import also come under Central FSSAI License.
Our expert professionals having specialized knowledge in food safety Registration procedure make the procedure flexible to our valuable clients. Team FSSAI INDIA FSSAI Food safety Registration guarantee that you can experience professional approach from our staffs that make everything hassle free.
How to renew FSSAI Licence/Registration?
To continue the business it is required to be renewed before the expiry of the FSSAI License validity. If your food license expiry is keeping close stay attentive and remember you have to apply 30 days prior to the FSSAI License or registration Expiry date.
For whom it’s required to obtain the FSSAI License in India ?
It’s strictly required for the following individuals or Companies to obtain a FSSAI Licence/Registration, as per the rules & regulation of the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006:
- All types of Manufacturers deals in Food related end products.
- Food Re Packers
- Food Traders
- Food Wholesalers
- Food Storage Firms
- Online Food Business Operator (E-commerce)
- Hotel or Caters
What is Food & Safety Department?
It is related to the FSSAI Department it works to farming rules regarding the food related articles and completion of the policies.
It also provide the technical and scientific support to the central government regarding the food related articles and it act as collection of the food related data consumption with general consciousness about the Food Standards and Food Safety.
How to Get FSSAI License for Online Food Selling Business ?
FSSAI has extended its scope to include the applications of e-commerce food services. This category includes delivery services such as Uber Eats, Swiggy and Zomato and online grocery stores such as amazon, Big Basket, etc.
Of late, the food e-commerce sector has grown tremendously. As these platforms operate widely, it is important for these services to ensure compliance with FSSAI.
Approval of FSSAI License ?
One we submitted application for basic registration, state license or central license with proper documents as per FSSAI norms and regulations inspector will verify all the documents after that our application will approve.
If any mistakes in the application the concerned food officer will send back the application for editing with the Reason. After that we want to clarify and submit if any further documents required. Then Application will get approved.
How to file Annual Return ?
- Only Merchant Exporter can file Quarterly annual report through online system.
- FBO manufacturing Milk and/or Milk products shall file half yearly return in the Form D-2 and submit it manually to the to the concerned Central/State licensing Authority for the periods 1st April to 30th September and 1st October to 31st March of every financial within a month from the end of the period.
- (Manufacturers and Importers) have to file Annual Return (Form D-1) and submit it manually to the concerned Central/State licensing Authority on or before 31st May of each year for each class of food handled by him during the previous financial year.
What are the Criteria for FSSAI Registration ?
- Registrations are granted to small or petty FBOs whose annual turn- over does not exceed Rs. 12 lakhs.
- Registrations are granted by the Registering Authority who may be Designated Officer/ Food Safety Officer or any official in Panchayat, Municipal Corporation or any other local body or Panchayat in an area, notified by the State Food Safety Commissioner.
- Documents required while applying for a Registration:-Application in Schedule-1.
- Fees @Rs. 100/- per annum.
- Address proof (Government documents like Voter ID card).
- Photograph of applicant.
- Registration Card should be exhibited at a prominent place of business premise.
What is the fee for modification of license ?
Any change that alters the information contained in the license certificate (Form C) shall apply for modification of license with the fee equivalent to one year license fee. No fee is required for modification of non Form C details.
In what Circumstances Application will be Rejected ?
Licensing Officer can reject the application in the case when the required information is not provided within the stipulated time of 30 days.
For whom it is mandatory to obtain Central License from central Licensing Authority ?
- Dairy units including chilling units- handle or process more than 50,000 litres of liquid milk per day or 2500MT of milk solid per annum.
- Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit having installed capacity more than 2 MT per day.
- All slaughter houses equipped to slaughter more than 50 large animals or 150 or more small animals including sheep and goats or 1000 or more poultry birds per day.
- Meat processing units equipped to handle or process more than 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
- All food processing units other than mentioned under (a) to (d) including relabellers and repackers having installed capacity more than 2 MT/day except grains, cereals and pulses milling units.
- 100 % Export Oriented Units.
- All Importers importing food items including food ingredients and additives for commercial use.
- All food business operators manufacture any article of food containing ingredients or substances or using technologies or processes or combination thereof whose safety has not been established through these regulations or which do not have a history of safe use or food containing ingredients which are being introduced for the first time into the country.
- Food Business Operator operating in two or more states.
- Food catering services in establishments and units under Central government
- Agencies like Railways, Air and airport, Seaport, Defence etc.
- Storage units other than those having controlled atmosphere and cold environment having capacity of more than 50,000 MT.
- Cold or Refrigerated Storage having capacity of more than 10,000 MT. Controlled Atmosphere + Cold Storage having capacity of more than 1,000 MT.
- Wholesalers having turnover of more than Rs.30 crores per annum.
- Retailers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
- Distributors having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
- Suppliers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
- Caterers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
- Hotels – Five Star & Above.
- Restaurants having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
- Transporters having more than 100 vehicles or turnover of more than Rs.30 crores per annum.
- Marketers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
Who Need FSSAI Food Safety License?
The primary step for FSSAI Food safety Registration and Licensing is identifying the nature of business structure. There are various kinds of business like Manufacturer, Repacker, Retailer, Distributer, Supplier, Marketer, Importer, Exporter, Ecommerce, Wholesaler, Restaurant, Canteen, Mess, Food vending establishment, Food vending agencies, Petty Retailer for Tea and Snacks.